Welcome to VanTech’s schoolyard market garden!
We are glad you are interested in utilizing this outdoor classroom for your class. Math, science, English, drama – this outdoor classroom is perfect for exploring standard deviation using plant size; getting inspired by poetry; observing and diagramming plants, insects and ecosystems; and putting on a show of course!
These spaces are stewarded by the Garden Club and by Fresh Roots Urban Farm Society. Fresh Roots grows community by growing food in these productive schoolyard market gardens. Food is grown and sold to the school community: the cafeteria, students, parents and neighbours. This is what makes this project possible.
We cultivate the space as outdoor learning classrooms by hosting events and workshops, and facilitating the Van Tech community enjoying and learning in these spaces. The goal of this booking system is to help you use the outdoor classroom. The space is divided into two different learning sections. In the West Section: you’ll find the native garden, the Garden Club garden boxes and the outdoor amphitheatre. In the East Section: you’ll find the production garden.
To keep this space growing healthy food and achieve its mission as an outdoor classroom, we ask that you to:
- Have Fun! This is your classroom – a place to try new teaching and learning methods with students.
- Sign-up with this form. This lets us know when and how you’re using the garden, to avoid overbooking the space and to share information with other teachers across the district about the wonderful activities happening at Van-Tech.
- Take Photos and share your experience in the garden with us.
- If you are interested in learning more about the garden, if you are looking for ideas, or if you’re interested in doing more hands on activities.
- If someone has already booked the space you were interested in, feel free to contact them to see if it might be possible to share the space.