Students born in Canada whose first language is English and all Kindergarten students born in Canada must register at their catchment school. Please see General Registrationor Kindergarten Registration for more information.
*If parent/legal guardian is neither Canadian nor Permanent Resident, please register at NWC.
When can I register my child for school?
- Regular Registration for the current school year 2019-2020 for K-12, continues through May 2020.
- Priority Waitlist for all Kindergarten (born in 2015 ONLY) registration to catchment school for the 2020-2021 school year is between November 1, 2019 to January 31, 2020 and will continue waitlist through September 2020 for late registration. If a school receives more applications than available spaces by January 31, a random draw will be held. Catchment students who apply within the early application period will be eligible for the draw. Catchment siblings who register between November 1st and January 31st are given sibling priority and will be placed prior to the draw.Please visit FAQs for more information.
*Note: We encourage you to come early in the morning before all registration quotas (due to limited staffing) is maximized. A friendly reminder, you can register your child any day between Nov. 1, 2019 to January 31, 2020.
- Priority Waitlist for Grade 1-12 to catchment school for the 2020-2021 school year starts in November 1, 2019 through June 12, 2020, and will continue through September 2020 for late registration.
*Note: We encourage you to come early in the morning before all registration quotas (due to limited staffing) is maximized.
All students registered after priority waitlist will be placed according to the date of registration.
Who must register at NWC?
- Grade 1 to Grade 12 students born in Canada, and who DO NOT speak English as their home language. [Note: a parent or a legal guardian and the student(s) are required at the time of registration]
- Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born outside Canada, regardless of language spoken at home. [Note: a parent or a legal guardian and the student(s) are required at the time of registration]
- Parent or legal guardian is neither Canadian nor Permanent Resident.
Registration hours are 8:30 a.m until 11:00 a.m., Monday to Friday (NWC is open 12 months of the calendar year except public holidays and office closure dates).
What is my catchment school?
- Please use the School Locator Tool and enter your street name to look for your catchment school.
- Registrations are done on a first come, first served basis. NWC does not accept appointments for registering.
- The Newcomer Welcome Centre and schools do not usually accept applications by telephone, fax or e-mail as staff need to verify authenticity of documentation.
- Documents that are written in a foreign language need to be translated into English. Any missing documents will delay the processing time for your file.
- Our registrar will advise you if there is an assessment needed for your child(ren).
- On the day of registration, new immigrant families will be given an appointment to meet with one of our Settlement Workers in Schools who will provide adaptation and settlement services to help the family adjust to schools, community and their new life in Canada.
Download the student application form and bring the completed form to the NWC when registering your child(ren). The form includes a checklist of documents you are required to bring when registering you child(ren):