Newcomer Welcome Centre (NWC) Online Registration Information
When should I register online?
Only submit your registration once you and your child are physically living in the city of Vancouver, and you have a confirmed address in the city of Vancouver.
The NWC only registers students to the Vancouver School Board. If you reside outside of the city of Vancouver, you must register in the district where you reside. Each of these cities have their own school district and a separate registration process:
- New Westminster
- Coquitlam / Port Coquitlam/ Port Moody
- North Vancouver
- West Vancouver
Who should register online through the NWC?
From Monday, June 27th to Tuesday, August 30th ALL NEW students to Vancouver School Board will need to register online through the NWC registration portal.
- If your child is a CURRENT VSB student and you need to change your address, please contact your current school - DO NOT submit a new registration form.
Starting Wednesday, August 31st the NWC will only register the following students:
- Grade 1 to Grade 12 students born in Canada, and who DO NOT speak English as their home language.
- Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born outside Canada, regardless of language spoken at home.
- Parent/legal guardian is neither a Canadian or a Permanent Resident. This applies even if the child was born in Canada.
- Former students, who meet any of the criteria listed above, who were withdrawn from the VSB and have returned. We need to verify their status, again, to ensure the student is eligible for a provincially funded education in British Columbia.
- If your child was born in Canada, English is their first language, and none of the criteria indicated above apply, you will need to register on a different portal. Please click here to learn more about that process.
What are the required supporting documents?
Please refer to our Required Documents page for additional information.
Applications for the 2022 - 2023 school year starting in September
- Accepted on an ongoing basis
Applications for the 2023 - 2024 school year
- Not open yet
- Please check back in November 2022
Please click here to access the School Year Calendar
After you complete the online registration process, you may be required to appear in person at the NWC with your child and your original documents. A registrar will contact you for this appointment. Please note, NWC visits are by appointment only due to Covid-19 precautions.
In order to receive all correspondence from us regarding your registration status:
- ensure your email address is correct on your application
- check your SPAM/JUNK mail
- add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact address book
- update the location of your email settings to either Canada or North America
Click on the button below to start your registration:
If you have additional questions, please email us at email@example.com