Newcomer Welcome Centre (NWC) Online Registration Information
Who should register online through the NWC?
- Grade 1 to Grade 12 students born in Canada, and who DO NOT speak English as their home language.
- Kindergarten to Grade 12 students born outside Canada, regardless of language spoken at home.
- Parent/legal guardian is neither a Canadian or a Permanent Resident. This applies even if the child was born in Canada.
- Former students, who meet any of the criteria listed above, who were withdrawn from the VSB and have returned. We need to verify their status, again, to ensure the student is eligible for a provincially funded education in British Columbia.
If your child was born in Canada, English is their first language, and none of the criteria indicated above apply, you will need to register on a different portal. Please click here to learn more about that process.
If you complete the incorrect form, you will have to re-submit the correct one.
Please only submit your registration once you are living in the city of Vancouver, and you have a confirmed address in the city of Vancouver.
Please be aware that the NWC only registers students to the Vancouver School Board. If you reside outside of the city of Vancouver, you must register in the district where you reside. Each of these cities have their own school district and a separate registration process:
- New Westminster
- Coquitlam / Port Coquitlam/ Port Moody
- North Vancouver
- West Vancouver
Applications for the 2021 – 2022 school year
- Accepted until Monday, June 6, 2022
Applications for the 2022 - 2023 school year
- Accepted on an ongoing basis
Applications for the 2023 - 2024 school year
- Not yet open. Please check back in November 2022.
IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ PRIOR TO STARTING YOUR APPLICATION
After you complete the online registration process, you may be required to appear in person at the NWC with your child and your original documents. A registrar will contact you for this appointment. Please note, NWC visits are by appointment only due to Covid-19 precautions.
In order to receive all correspondence from us regarding your registration status:
- ensure your email address is correct on your application
- check your SPAM/JUNK mail
- add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contact address book
- update the location of your email settings to either Canada or North America
Click on the button below to start your registration:
If you have additional questions, please email us at email@example.com