Download the student application form and bring the completed form to the NWC when registering your child(ren). The form includes a checklist of documents you are required to bring when registering you child(ren):
In order to expedite the registration process, all required documents are needed to ensure the student’s application is complete and, most importantly, to ensure the school has the basic information it needs to maximize the health and security of the student.
The parent or legal guardian must accompany the student when registering and must present the following original documents (plus an English translation done by a certified translator of all documents which are not in English/French):
1. Proof of Residence in City of Vancouver: (Please bring the original and one additional copy)
- For Home Owners: please have a recent property tax statement or a purchased agreement (with subject removal and a deposit receipt) if you just bought a new home.
- For Tenant(s): please bring current long-term rental or lease agreement. If NOT CURRENT, please bring additional current bills. Please print and complete the Tenancy Agreement Form if your landlord does not provide one.
*Note: Catchment school may ask for more documentation (e.g. recent utility or cable bill). If these documents are available, please bring them with you and we will include them in the registration file.
2. Child’s Birth Certificate in English and ideally showing parents’ names. (Please bring the original)
3. Proof of Status in Canada (Please bring the original for both parents and child(ren))
- Confirmation of Permanent Residence Document (Landing Paper) and Passport(s) and Permanent Residence Card(s) if available
- Work Permit and Passport(s)--with parent(s)' minimum of one year employment letter
- Study Permit and Passport(s)--with parent(s)' enrolling in a full-time degree or diploma program--please bring admission letter and payment receipt
- Refugee Claimant Document
- Diplomatic Card or Passport(s)
- Canadian Passport or Citizenship Card or Certificate
- Aboriginal Status Identification Card
- Any other relevant immigration document.
4. Immunization Records (if available, no need to translate) and other important health information (e.g. medical alerts). (Please bring one additional copy)
5. Child’s Previous School Report Cards in English. (Please bring the original and an additional copy)
- Elementary - Most recent year of report card
- Secondary - All report cards from Grade 7 (age 13 to present)
- Any Individual Education Plan (IEP), Psycho-Education Reports, or Medical Reports
6. Any other relevant documentation like a Court Order involving Guardianship, Divorce, Separation, or a Parent Consent Letter from the second parent who currently does not reside with the student. (Please bring the original and two additional photocopies)
PLEASE NOTE: Once you have completed your student registration, NWC staff will process the file for your catchment school. Please be advised that for a Special Needs student, the processing time may take longer to process.
If English is not the language at home, it is likely that the student will return for an assessment. An appointment is made and the student returns to NWC for assessment in reading, writing and mathematics. The completed file and the assessment results are sent directly to the home/placement school.