Mandarin Bilingual Program
The Mandarin Bilingual Program helps students:
- Learn Mandarin in an effective and challenging way
- Participate in rich Mandarin cultural learning experiences
- Meet new friends
- Learn a second language that will give students an edge in the working world
- Participate with motivated students in a high energy environment! Join a unique program!
Application for the 2024-2025 school year will be accepted at our school office November 1st, 2023 to January 31st, 2024. The Mandarin Bilingual program is a unique choice program - core curriculum is taught in English, and Mandarin is delivered through Mandarin Language Arts. All requirements of the BC curriculum are covered - the program starts in grade 4 and continues through to grade 7. District Programs Application Form
Please note: This is NOT an immersion program. The main subjects (mathematics, science, social studies, etc.) are taught in English. Mandarin is taught for approximately 1 hour a day with conversational Mandarin incorporated throughout the day. If your child is registered for the Mandarin bilingual program, they learn Mandarin instead of French in grades 5, 6, and 7.
This Program is Designed for Students Who
- Are residents of Vancouver
- Are fluent in English and have strong English reading and writing skills
- Will be entering grade 4 in September and do not have Chinese literacy skills
- OR If there is space, are entering Grade 5, 6 and 7 and have appropriate Chinese Literacy Skills for specific Grade group openings that may be available
The Program Will Help Develop…
- Mandarin oral communication skills for a variety of situations
- Reading and writing skills using Chinese characters
High School Continuation
The program continues at Eric Hamber Secondary School
The number of students in each class follows the BC Ministry class size regulations.
Applications for admission to the Mandarin Bilingual Program that are received at Pierre Elliott Trudeau School no later than Monday, January 31, 2024 by 3:00 PM will be included in the current year's placement process. A complete application includes a complete VSB Grade 1-7 District Programs Application Form (link to form: District Programs Application Form) and the student's most recent report card.
The application does not constitute registration. The following selection procedure will apply to all the applications. If there are more applicants than placement spaces, applicants that have a sibling who is currently attending the program and will continue attending the program next year will be enrolled first. Names of all other applicants will be entered into a random draw for remaining spaces. Students that cannot be accommodated will be placed on a wait list in the order in which their name is drawn.
Parents/Guardians will be informed of acceptance by a confirmation letter and must contact the school by the date mentioned to confirm placement. Parents who might be away when contact is made, should include alternate telephone numbers on their application form. Anyone moving is responsible for ensuring their new address and telephone number are provided to the school.
Please click here for a video about the Trudeau Mandarin bilingual program.