The first Franklin School was built in 1912 at the west end of the existing block and consisted of two classrooms. In 1926 the current building was constructed with an addition being built in 1973. Although at one time (1929-30) there were 434 students enrolled in the school, the population more recently has consistently been about 200 students. These students are organized into 10 divisions.
Franklin Community School has a multi-cultural student population. The parents play a significant role in the school as volunteers and as members of the Parent Advisory Committtee (PAC).