Work Experience is a program that integrates classroom theory with practical experience in the workplace. The program links the resources of secondary schools with business, industry and the community to provide young people with highly motivated educational experiences. The Work Experience program helps students to make decisions about their future career choices and to gain confidence in making the transition from secondary school to the world of work or post-secondary education.
· Able to begin in Grade 11 and finish in Grade 12
· Is willing and capable of doing practical experience in a workplace
· Has a desire to gain employable skills
· Understands this is an off-timetable course and requires time-management
· Good attitude and flexibility for working in a variety of environments
· Cares about personal development and learning outside of the classroom
1. Attend in-school workshops (throughout the year in Grade 11)
2. Completion of independent assignments (evaluations and reflections)
3. Regular meetings with Ms. Kersten (Grade 12)
4. Minimum completion of 90 hours of work experience at supervised worksites
· Work one to one on placements with a teacher supervisor
· Explore a career choice
· Gain valuable work experience
· Strengthen employment skills through on-the-job training
· Use equipment not available in the schools
· Obtain employment references and make valuable business contacts
· Enhance the possibility of obtaining part-time or full-time employment
· Discover personal interests and abilities
· Develop confidence and self-reliance
· Earn secondary school credits while gaining practical experience
In order to register for the Kitsilano WEX program, you need to:
1. Fill out an enrollment WEX form and hand it into your Grade Counsellor.
2. Email Ms. Kersten:to confirm your interest and enrollment.
3. Attend an introduction to WEX workshop scheduled by Ms. Kersten.
For more information, please click the links below: