Mathematics Pathways at Tupper
TAP Math 8
LSP Math 8
Pre-req: C+ or higher in MA8
Math 9 Essentials
Pre-req: C or Pass in MA8
Foundations of Math and Pre-Calculus 10
Pre-req: C+ or higher in MA9
A challenging course that:
· Expects 100% attendance and may require up to 5 hours of homework per week.
· Will cover topics such as: measurement, trigonometry, algebra, functions and relations.
· Has a Provincial examination that contributes to 20% of the overall grade
Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10
Pre-req: Pass in MA9 Essentials
· For students who require mathematical understandings and critical-thinking skills for a majority of trades and for direct entry into the work force.
· Topics include personal finance, measurement, and workplace trigonometry.
· The Provincial examination contributes to 20% of the overall grade.
Pre-req: B or higher in FMP10
For college or university bound students who:
· Require a background in calculus. UBC requires a B or higher standing for entrance consideration.
· Will typically enroll in post-secondary studies such as: sciences, mathematics, engineering, programming
· Can think abstractly
· Have good work habits
Foundations of Math 11
Pre-req: C or higher in FMP10
For college or university bound students who
· Do not require a background in calculus. UBC does not accept this as a mathematics 11 course entrance requirement
· Will typically enroll in post-secondary studies such as: liberal arts, business management, nursing, psychology, criminology.
Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 11
Pre-req: Pass in AWM 10
· For students who require mathematical understandings and critical-thinking skills for a majority of trades, via a technical college or a trade school, and for direct entry into the workforce.
· Topics studied include measurement, financial concepts, geometry, and trigonometry.
Pre-req: B or higher in PC11
· For students who have a strong interest or ability in mathematics.
· Topics include all concepts learned from Mathematics 8 to Pre-Calculus 11 and focuses on the areas of trigonometry, relations and functions, logarithms, permutations, and combinatorics.
Foundations of Math 12
Pre-req: C or higher in FOM11
· Students will study problem solving of real-life, practical, technical, and theoretical problems through hands on activities and projects.
· Topics include: finance, logics, relations and functions, combinatorics, and probability.
Pre-req: B or higher in PC12 may be taken concurrently with PC12
· may be taken concurrently with Pre-Calculus 12
· Topics include: overview and history of calculus, functions, graphs and limits, derivatives and their applications, anti-derivatives and their applications