The materials on the shelving cart should already have been sorted and put in the correct piles and organized in alphabetical or numerical order.
If they are not, remind the person who is working the circulation desk that they are to put the books in the correct order. It makes shelving a lot easier.
IF YOU ARE NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT THE BOOKS … DO NOT SHELVE THEM.
ASK THE TEACHER-LIBRARIAN FOR HELP.
- Fiction books are shelved alphabetically on the EAST WALL of the library – straight down to the Fire Exit doors.
- Fiction books have labels that have FIC or F above the letter of the author's last name.
- PB = Paperback
- These are shelved on the paperback spinners with the yellow signs.
- Arranged in alphabetical order.
- PBs also have GENRE LABELS (coloured dots or symbols to indicate what type of book it is. For example: = ADVENTURE = HISTORICAL
SEE GENRE LABEL CHART POSTED NEAR THE WEBCAT STATIONS
- E = Easy (Rapid Reads) These books also have a blue dot on the spine label. They are located on the first paperback spinner nearest the fiction wall.
- Shelved on the NORTH WALL, on low shelves across from the sofas. Next to the “New Arrivals” shelves.
- These books also have red labels with the word GRAPHICs
- Shelved on the free standing book shelves and along the SOUTH WALL.
- Arranged by Dewey Decimal Classification 000 – 999
- Refer to the signs on the book stacks to help you locate the correct spot.
REFERENCE BOOKS – REF 000 – REF 999
- All Reference books have a yellow Reference label on the spine.
- These are shelved on the WEST WALL.
- Teachers’ resources
- Located on shelves next to the Video Collection.
- (EAST WALL)
- The letters: PRO written on the first line, above the Dewey #.
VIDEOS & EMPTY DVD CASES
- Shelved on the EAST WALL – on shelves between the Professional Collection and the Fiction Collection.
- Fiction videos are arranged alphabetically.
- Non-Fiction Videos are arranged by Dewey Classification (000 -999)
Note: Videos are in the cases, on the shelves. DVD cases are empty.
The actual DVDs are kept at the circulation desk.
When someone wants to borrow a DVD, we put the DVD into the case at check
MAGAZINES (I.E. PERIODICALS)
- Arranged alphabetically by title, on shelves in the Magazine Corner.
- Most recent / current magazine is on the shelf.
- Back issues are in the blue boxes.
- Today’s newspapers are on the newspaper rack on wooden rods.
- Back issues (we keep 1 weeks worth) are on the shelves before the magazine shelves.