The aim of the Modern Languages Department is to provide students with the ability to:
- communicate in other languages
- learn about cultural diversity
- discuss, share, and justify opinions with clarity
- see language learning as a lifelong process
- gain an appreciation of francophone and world cultures
- explore diverse opportunities where language is important
After students finish French 8, they are free to continue French and/or choose Spanish, Japanese or Mandarin depending on availability and registered priority (grade level) enrollment..
Those students who already are advanced in a Modern Language can check with their teacher first, then their counsellor and the B.C. Ministry of Education website for external credits towards graduation and the possibility of doing a Language Challenge Exam at the grade 11 or 12 level. However, a language challenge exam mark cannot be used in calculating your grade point average for university as of September 2010.
May your dreams not only be in colour but in another language too!