The VSB Sustainability Conference is led by students, for students. Its intention is to educate youth on environmental concerns, to provide tools for post-conference actions, and to establish collaborative initiatives between VSB schools and other Metro Vancouver districts. Each year the Sustainability Conference offers a great workshop selection, guest speakers, showcases school sustainability project success stories, and facilitates inter and intra-school discussions on sustainability goals and action plans.
VSB Sustainability Grants
Elementary School Sustainability Grants are available for student, teacher, or school-led sustainability projects. Grants of up to $500 are available.
Ideas for Elementary School Projects:
- Transportation costs for a field trip to a local/regional park or garden
- Class set of foul weather gear (boots, rain gear) to help facilitate outdoor learning all year round
- Items for a class food preparation kit to prepare food from the garden
- Enhanced recycling services for your school lunchroom
- Sustainability-related professional development for your staff team
- Supplies for your school garden
Secondary School Sustainability Grants are available for student-led projects which initiate or advance a sustainability-related issue in their schools. 18 grants of up to $1000 are available.
Examples of past secondary school student projects:
- School community clothing swap
- School garden improvements
- School branded reusable to-go cups and discounted fill-ups at local businesses
- Environmental awareness campaigns (i.e. meatless Mondays, eco-weeks, Go by Bike Week)
- Improvements to school recycling systems
Read the report from the 2021-2022 Sustainability Grants
Please contact us at with your sustainability ideas, stories, questions, or comments.