Skip to main content
image description

Frequently Asked Questions

The Questions We Hear Most Often

We get lots of questions, and we are happy to help people find the answers they need to make decisions about upgrading courses, completing high school, or continuing their education (whether for college or university program prerequisites or interest).

Click on the questions below to learn more. If you have a question that is not in the list, please feel free to contact us

  • Please read over the information on new students on our New Student page . Eligible students are at least sixteen years old on July 1 of the school year, and are ordinarily resident in BC and living in BC for a settled purpose. Fill in the Intake Form and provide a copy of ID showing status in Canada (showing Canadian citizenship or Landed Immigration status or Refugee status or Refugee Claimant status, picture ID and email  For more information, visit the new student registration page.

  • Yes:

    • If you are a student, are new to the education system, and require an individual Student Learning Plan (SLP). These plans are reviewed, signed and dated every school year by the student as their personal plan.
    • If you are a returning student and wish to alter or update your individual Student Learning Plan.
    • If your are unsure if you should follow the Adult Graduation or the regular (2023) graduation program.
    • If you are a day school student and have a letter of permission from your school.


    • If you are a returning student and have a current Student Learning Plan, and are successfully completing your courses.
  • You can graduate by completing any missing courses from the Adult graduation program or regular high school graduation (2023) program.

    Find out more about your graduation options here

  • The length of time you need to graduate will depend on:

    • how many courses you have to complete 
    • which graduation program you are pursuing (Adult Diploma or 80 credit, 2023 Diploma)
    • how much time you have to attend classes, or an education or learning centre
    • what other commitments you have (family, work, etc.)

    Your Student Learning Plan includes an anticipated completion date if you are on a graduation plan.

  • Students who complete the regular (2023) or the adult graduation program are eligible to receive high school graduation Dogwood diplomas. They are accepted equally by employers, colleges, universities, and other post-secondary institutions. It is your responsibility to ensure that your course choices and marks meet the requirements of your chosen institution. 

    Find out more about your graduation options here

  • Eligible students will be at least 16 years old on July 1 of the school year, ordinarily resident in BC, and currently living in the lower mainland for a settled purpose. Funding for most courses is provided by the Ministry of Education and Child Care and is tuition free for Canadian citizens or permanent residents, or convention refugees, or refugee claimants.  People holding Work Permits are asked to review their eligibility by reading the Student Eligibility Guide found on the New Students page.  Graduated adults who meet the eligibility requirements described above and are over 19 years old may be eligible to take English, Math and Science courses tuition free.  

    Find out more information about courses for Graduated Adults here

  • Current students have the option of registering online for their next term, by following the instructions on our current or new student pages.  New students should follow the steps on the New Student page.

  • Yes, secondary school students present an original Letter of Permission from their school Principal, and a copy of their current day school timetable to register for adult education.  Students should speak with their high school counselor and parents/guardians before making an appointment to see an Academic Advisor in Adult Education.

  • All our senior academic (Gr. 11 and 12) courses follow prescribed BC Ministry curriculum and carry the same credit as high school courses. 

  • Marks are sent to the Ministry of Education.  If you would like a report card, please request one from the office during our regular office hours.    In many cases, an official transcript ordered through the Ministry of Education and Child Care will be the preferred document for application to post secondary and for employment purposes. 

  • Transcripts may be ordered through Student Transcript Services on the Ministry of Education website.  Order transcripts and certificates - Province of British Columbia (  

  • Students over 18 are adults and are protected by Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy legislation. Information regarding student progress will not generally be released to parents without prior conversation, consent and documentation.

  • Adult Education follows a Code of Conduct that provides a framework to ensure student success is met through respect, support, constructive consequences and common goals. All members of the Adult Education community work to maintain a safe, caring, and orderly environment for purposeful learning. Racism will not be tolerated at our school. Disciplinary action, whenever possible, is restorative, rather than punitive.   Please see our Code of Conduct, linked on our main page.

    Academic Honesty and Integrity is expected of all students. Cheating, including plagiarism, is a serious breach of our Code of Conduct, and will result in immediate consequences. 

Back to top