This program is designed for students who have a complex learning profile that affects their academic performance and educational engagement. Students in this program may earn either an Adult Dogwood or Dogwood Graduation Certificate.
- individualized or small group instruction with a focus on skill development
- experiences designed to increase self-esteem and feelings of success
- social skills programming to develop interpersonal skills and independence
- community-based instruction
Students are considered appropriate for this program when they:
- exhibit an uneven cognitive profile
- have a complex developmental profile that impacts learning
- need extensive program adaptations
- Identified as a student with average cognitive abilities
Strategies referrals are to be submitted to the District Case Manager, High Incidence.
- completed “Request for Designation &/or Special Education Program Placement” form
- completed “Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies” (PRIS) form
- Psycho-Educational assessment
- Speech and Language assessment (if available)
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- reports from pertinent community agencies/specialists, (if available)
- Report Card
- School Based Team minutes
Student placement is reviewed every spring with the goal of returning students to their home schools. A transition plan between the program staff and the receiving school is developed.
Capacity and Staffing
Grades 8 to 12
1 Teacher (Support Staff levels are based on student need)
University Hill Secondary