Excellence in Social Emotional Learning (ExSEL)
The Excellence in Social Emotional Learning (ExSEL) program provides a supportive classroom setting for one year for students who require intensive support in Social Emotional Learning and Executive Functioning. Students are reviewed at the end of the 1-year term for a possible extension. Instruction is differentiated and personalized to meet the unique learning profiles of each student with a focus on the Core Competencies.
The ExSEL program is in session Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday from 9am – 3pm, and Wednesday from 9am until lunch. Classes are not in session Wednesday afternoons.
- display social-emotional difficulties which meet the Ministry criteria for students requiring Moderate Behaviour Support (R), students requiring Intensive Behaviour Support (H), and students requiring support for a Chronic Health Impairment (D), (*Students with High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (G) may also be considered)
- demonstrate significant challenges in the Core Competencies
- evidence of Tier 1 and Tier 2 interventions have been implemented consistently at the school level
All applications to the program must be submitted to the District Case Manager, Behaviour. The package should include:
- Request for Designation &/or Special Education Program Placement form
- Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies (PRIS) form
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Positive Behaviour Support Plan
- School-Based Team minutes
- DESSA mini assessment
- other reports/assessments: as appropriate.
Student placement is reviewed every spring with the goal of returning students to their home schools. A transition plan between the ExSEL program staff and the receiving school is developed.
Capacity and Staffing
1 Teacher, 1 SSA and 1 SSB