Excellence in Social Emotional Learning (ExSEL)
The Excellence in Social Emotional Learning (ExSEL) program provides an integrated and supportive classroom setting for one year for students who require intensive support in Social Emotional Learning and Executive Functioning. Instruction is differentiated and personalized to meet the unique learning profiles of each student with a focus on the Core Competencies.
The ExSEL program is in session five days a week from 9am – 3pm, and from September through mid March. At the end of March until the end of June, student will return to their mainstream classroom full time with program staff supporting them on a rotational basis.
- display social-emotional difficulties which meet the Ministry criteria for students requiring Moderate Behaviour Support (R), students requiring Intensive Behaviour Support (H), and students requiring support for a Chronic Health Impairment (D), (*Students with High Functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder (G) may also be considered)
- demonstrate significant challenges in the Core Competencies
- evidence of Tier 1 and Tier 2 interventions have been implemented consistently at the school level
All applications to the program must be submitted to the District Case Manager, Behaviour. The package should include:
- Request for Designation &/or Special Education Program Placement form
- Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies (PRIS) form
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Positive Behaviour Support Plan
- School-Based Team minutes
- DESSA mini assessment
- other reports/assessments: as appropriate.
Student placement is reviewed every spring with the goal of returning students to their home schools. A transition plan between the ExSEL program staff and the receiving school is developed.
Capacity and Staffing
1 Teacher, 1 SSA and 1 SSB