Secondary: Social Development
The Social Development Class offers a small protected setting for students with significant social-emotional and executive functioning challenges.
Students are appropriate for placement in this program when they:
- exhibits externalizing or internalizing behaviours to a degree that impacts access to the curriculum.
Social Development referrals are to be submitted to the District Case Manager, Behaviour.
- completed “Request for Designation &/or Special Education Program Placement” form
- completed “Pre-Referral Intervention Strategies” (PRIS) form
- Psycho-Educational assessment and speech and language assessment (if available)
- comprehensive medical reports (e.g. hospital, psychiatric), (if available)
- reports from pertinent community agencies/specialists (e.g. Ministry for Children and Family Development, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority Mental Health Services)
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- School-Based Team minutes
Student placement is reviewed every spring with the goal of returning students to their home schools. A transition plan between the program staff and the receiving school is developed.
Capacity and Staffing
Grade 8 and 9 (Jr.) Grade 10 (Sr.)
1 Teacher, 1 SSA and 1 SSB
Britannia Secondary (Jr. and Sr.)
David Thompson Secondary (Jr.)