VSB’s 2023-2024 Budget Engagement
Every year, the Vancouver School Board (VSB) adopts a budget for the upcoming school year. To help inform the Board’s budget considerations, we seek feedback and input from rights-holders, the District’s formal stakeholder groups, members of school communities and the broader Vancouver public.
There a several ways to share feedback and provide input:
- Complete the online survey by March 3, 2023.
- Present at a budget Committee-of-the-Whole meeting (scheduled for April 19 and April 24, 2023). Presenters must request to be added to the speakers’ list via email (email@example.com) by 4:30 p.m. the Wednesday before the meeting.
- Submit written input to the Board (via mail: Attention: Secretary Treasurer’s Office, 1580 West Broadway, Vancouver V6J 5K8 – or by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org).
Development of the 2023-2024 budget is directed by the Education Plan, the Framework for Enhanced Student Learning (FESL) and the Board’s motion about reducing VSB’s structural deficit.
In terms of the annual budget, the Education Plan provides the foundational direction to increase equity by improving stewardship of the District’s resources, focusing on effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability.
In addition, the FESL report guides plans to enhance student learning and success, with a focus on improving outcomes for Indigenous Learners, as well as increase literacy and social-emotional learning and well-being for students enrolled in VSB schools.
Another key driver to the 2023-2024 budget is the Board’s adopted motion that directed staff to present strategies to address the structural deficit. For the last 10 years, the Board has had to use money from previous years’ savings (known as an accumulated surplus) to balance the budget. A structural deficit is the impact over time when there is not enough funding and other revenue to cover all the expenses in the budget.
With these three guides, this year’s budget survey seeks feedback about three key areas:
- Programs and Services Supporting Students
- Staffing to Meet Students’ Needs
- Efficient and Best Use of District Facilities
In addition, optional questions in the survey ask participants to share other ideas they may have for next year’s budget as well as demographic details they are comfortable to provide. This helps us ensure diverse voices, especially of people who belong to equity deserving groups, are included.
Feedback and input about the budget will help the Board as it makes important decisions impacting students throughout VSB. For more background information and budget timelines, visit: Budget Development 2023-2024.
The Board will determine the 2023-2024 budget at a public meeting in May.